Brigitte Bardot and Michel Piccoli in Le Mepris (Contempt) directed by Jean-Luc Godard in 1963. Photograph: Nana Productions/REX
Le Cacatoès noir ou Cacatoès des palmiers ou Microglosse noir, Probosciger aterrimus (en anglais: Palm Cockatoo), est une espèce de grands oiseaux, gris foncé ou noir, de la famille des Psittacidae et de la sous-famille des cacatoès du genre monotypique Probosciger.
A mourner pictured with the body of Rudolph Valentino at the actor’s funeral.
An estimated 100,000 people lined the streets of New York City to pay their respects at his funeral, handled by the Frank Campbell Funeral Home. The event was a drama itself: Suicides of despondent fans were reported. Windows were smashed as fans tried to get in and an all-day riot erupted on August 24. Over 100 mounted officers and NYPD’s Police Reserve were deployed to restore order. A phalanx of officers would line the streets for the remainder of the viewing. The drama inside would not be outdone. Polish actress Pola Negri, claiming to be Valentino’s fiancée, collapsed in hysterics while standing over the coffin,and Campbell’s hired four actors to impersonate a Fascist Blackshirt honor guard, which claimed to have been sent by Benito Mussolini. It was later revealed as a planned publicity stunt. Media reports that the body on display in the main salon was not Valentino but a decoy were continually denied by Campbell.
Death Proof - Lap Dance Scene
Let’s talk about strong female characters/quentin tarantino/sexism:
This is one of my favorite quentin tarantino (overall movie) scenes. It explains a lot how i wish woman would be portrayed in movies.
Let’s look at her:
- She wears almost no make up
- She wears chill clothes (flip flops / tshirt)
And now at how she’s shown during the lap dance:
- She sings along with the song, which makes her look confident, self assure and more like this is something she actually enjoys doing and isn’t only for the male pleasure
- there are no slow motion close ups. Expect (ah tarantino) for her foot set firmly between his thighs and her knee slowly approaching his stomach. Both motion seem more threatening than sexual and remind the viewer that she could very easily harm him.
- right from the first scene she’s shown from a slight lower angle, which is used in movies to make people look stronger
- Her dance is slightly off and a little bit awkward. it’s wasn’t perfectly choreographed made into something unnatural or inhuman (and i’m still never gonna be as sexy as her)
- He only touches her AFTER she takes his hands herself
At last, her surroundings:
- 90% all different kinds of woman that enjoy her lap dance as well.
This whole movie is about strong women. the end
Thank you Tarantino
Lupita Nyong’o gives Elmo a masterclass in colour co-ordination.
On 29 August 1930, the remaining 36 inhabitants were removed to Morvern on the Scottish mainland at their own request.
The morning of the evacuation promised a perfect day. The sun rose out of a calm and sparkling sea and warmed the impassive cliffs of Oiseval. The sky was hopelessly blue and the sight of Hirta, green and pleasant as the island of so many careless dreams, made parting all the more difficult. Observing tradition the islanders left an open Bible and a small pile of oats in each house, locked all the doors and at 7 am boarded the Harebell. Although exhausted by the strain and hard work of the last few days, they were reported to have stayed cheerful throughout the operation. But as the long antler of Dun fell back onto the horizon and the familiar outline of the island grew faint, the severing of an ancient tie became a reality and the St Kildans gave way to tears.(Lachlan Maclean)